Saturday 20 July 2013

GSoC: Week5

A late post this week.
In terms of progress, last week was a bit slow, but things are going to move pretty fast now.
The past seven days, I wrote the tests for the code of MovingRefFrame, Particle and all the helper functions in the functions.py file. Trust me, if writing tests are the only thing you are doing, it can get pretty boring. Testing your code and experimenting with it is a lot of fun, but sadly, writing unit tests is not. Anyways, I finished writing most of them for the classes built till now. Some more may have to be added, but that will be after Prasoon's code gets pushed into SymPy's master repo.
Apart from that, I did some groundwork on Dyadics, which would be the focus of my GSoC work for the upcoming week. I will be taking hints from the old module's Dyadic class, but I will have to modify and hack it considerably to fit SymPy's global architecture. Plus, some methods like the __eq__ one need improvement, which I plan to do. I hope I can finish the class (operation methods as well as those for printing, etc) by the end of this week. Tests later.

One great thing that happened this week- I finally decided to give up Windows as my coding environment. Its not like you cannot code in Windows; if you are good enough for what you are trying to do, you can pretty much do whatever you want there...but in Linux, its 10x easier. Especially since any library you want is just one small command away.
My laptop's LAN card got replaced, and it prompted me to set up a dual boot system on my machine.
Anyways, I am very happy with the linux(Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) experience!

Yeah...one more thing! SymPy 0.7.3 finally got released, and this will be the first official release to include code from me (the work on sympy.logic)! However, the documentation for that code hasn't been added to the website docs, so I probably need to learn the basics of Sphinx documentation for that. I hope I can get it done this week. I tried working with Sphinx on Windows earlier, but it quite frankly was a little tricky for an impatient guy like me.

That's all the 'progress' that happened this week.
The next week's post will be the last GSoC update I'll be posting from Mumbai. I'll be going to my campus at Goa on next Tuesday, that week's work may be a little bit delayed around the Tue-Wed period.
But thats for later.
Have a great week! 

No comments: